The Pain of Not Knowing: A Review of Strangers: A Memoir of Marriage
Book Details
Title: Strangers: A Memoir of Marriage
Author: Belle Burden
Genre: Memoir, Non-fiction
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5)
⚠️ Spoiler Warning: This review discusses important plot points from the memoir.
My Thoughts
Some books are easy to read, while others are impossible to put down. Strangers: A Memoir of Marriage was the second kind for me. I picked it up expecting a memoir about divorce, but I wasn't prepared for how deeply it would affect me. I finished it in one sitting because I simply couldn't stop reading.
Belle Burden shares her own story of a marriage that lasted more than twenty years. From the outside, everything looked perfect—a love marriage, three children, financial stability, and a life many people would envy. But appearances can be deceiving.
The foundation of her marriage crumbles after her husband, James, is unfaithful. What stayed with me wasn't just the betrayal—it was the absence of answers. Belle keeps searching for a reason, hoping for some explanation that will make sense of everything. That uncertainty felt more painful than the divorce itself.
As human beings, we naturally look for closure. We want to know why things happened, especially when they involve someone we trusted with our entire life. Reading Belle's thoughts and emotions made me realize how devastating it must be to lose not only your partner but also the future you imagined together.
What Stayed With Me
I found myself imagining what it would feel like to be in Belle's position. I know every person's experience is different, but her emotions were written so honestly that it was impossible not to feel them.
One thought kept coming back to me while reading: many women grow up believing that marriage is their forever home. They build their lives around their families, often putting their own dreams, careers, and ambitions on hold. When that foundation suddenly disappears, it isn't just a relationship that ends—it can feel like losing a part of your identity.
That was one of the strongest messages I took from this memoir. Love is important, but we should never lose ourselves in the process of loving someone else. Our self-respect, independence, and career are equally important because they remain with us regardless of who stays or leaves.
A Reality That Crosses Cultures
Another aspect that really struck me was how familiar some reactions felt.
People often say these things happen because of cultural differences, but I didn't see it that way while reading this memoir. Whether it's in the West or in India, women are still judged more harshly. Even when a man is clearly responsible for breaking a relationship, questions are often directed at the woman instead.
That realization made this memoir feel even more relatable. Different countries may have different customs, but some attitudes towards women sadly remain the same.
The Supporting Characters
I especially appreciated Susan and Belle's mother. Their support reminded me how important it is to have people who stand beside you during life's most difficult moments. Their presence brought warmth and hope to a story filled with heartbreak.
Writing Style
Belle's writing is honest, emotional, and easy to connect with. She doesn't try to make herself look perfect, and that's exactly what makes this memoir so powerful. The pacing is excellent, and every chapter made me want to keep reading.
For me, a good book is one that keeps me emotionally invested from beginning to end, and this memoir did exactly that.
Final Thoughts
Strangers is about much more than the end of a marriage. It's about betrayal, grief, motherhood, healing, and slowly rebuilding yourself after everything you believed in falls apart.
I admire Belle Burden for sharing such a vulnerable part of her life. It takes courage to tell a story like this so openly, knowing that readers may judge your choices.
If you enjoy memoirs that are raw, honest, and emotionally powerful, I would definitely recommend this book.
My biggest takeaway after finishing it is simple: love deeply, but never lose yourself. Protect your self-respect, your independence, and your dreams. Relationships are important, but so is the person you are outside of them.
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5)



Comments
Post a Comment